Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Christ in the Desert

So plans changed. Of course they did; it's one of the few things you can predict!
I took highway 84 from Santa Fe north, with the plan of hitting 160 and heading west to Moab, UT. Hwy 84 takes you along the robust Chama river-which, after being in such dry country for so long, is mesmerizing in its vivacity and freshness. Without planning it, I managed to take myself to a bunch of places my beloved aunt Margo had recommended going (she lived in NM for a number of years). I spent time in the unearthly (meaning a bit strange) village of Abiquiu and visited the Benedictine Abbey of "Christ in the Desert", which was also...a different, though beautiful, experience for me. I managed to enter the chapel as the congregation-of maybe 10-12 monks and the sprinkling of visitors that had happened by that day-began to sing the psalms of that hour and day (there's a very specific set of psalms for different seasons and times of day, I later learned). I picked up the book of psalms and sang along, mostly because I prefer the experience of participating over that of watching from afar.
Now, my spiritual foundation (Hinduism) is based in there being nothing separating one from God (except one's own belief in there being separateness), and there is also no intrinsic evil. The psalms I sang with the Benedictine monks begged God not to stand so far off, to forgive us for our sins and to right the sinner's assumption that he'll be getting off scott free. The experience of taking on these beliefs temporarily by singing them was an interesting one; you find that your body lets you know how it feels about new information; I felt afraid and alone, and sort of naked after the 30 minutes or so I spent there. Though it wasn't a fire and brimstone sort of lecture, I did feel more able to understand the fear that drives the actions of some. Not to say that my way is better...its just different. The monastery is amazing in its architecture and environmental savvy--they're over 20 miles from town on a 15 mi/hr. dirt road, and they're totally self sufficient.
I spent a night on Abiquiu Lake...a tremendously powerful place, even though the lake is a product of damming the Chama. I found the campsite, bookmarked it in my head and decided to drive further without reason. It was like being pulled by a tractor beam. In a few minutes, I found myself in front of this huge, dark mesa that dominated the land for miles with its presence. I decided to draw it. It was the only thing I felt I could do to honor its magnifiscence enough.
The next day I asked the campsite host what the name of that mesa was. He said, "Oh that's Padernal. The Indians say it's the center of the Earth." I've got to say, it sure felt like it.
Later that day I found that I was at Ghost Ranch, the ranch in the desert that Georgia O'Keefe (who inspires me to no end as a free, strong woman who painted Nature's extravagant beauty) visited frequently and eventually moved to. Many of her paintings come from that place, and it resonates with a kind of kinetic mystery...I was entranced. Spent a few hours there just walking around, looking at the towering red earth everywhere.

I crossed the border of New Mexico into Colorado that day and fell in love. Ever since I was a little girl, I had talked about living in Colorado and raising horses on a big ranch. I'd never been to Colorado, nor do I remember even seeing pictures of it, but somehow, it really is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. I just may live here some day. And there are horses EVERYWHERE.
An amazing opportunity fell into my lap the day I got here (which is Pagosa Springs, CO). I sauntered into a little gallery in town and left with a very good chance that I may get to show a few pieces there in July! I walked in with absolutely no intention of making this happen; just wanted some inspiration, but the gallery owner happened to be in and we spoke for gosh, two hours. I showed her my portfolio book (THANK YOU, Auntie Mala for that idea, and THANK YOU Keith for making it happen!!!) and she said that if I applied asap, she'd love my work on their walls.
SO, I've spent the last six days here, painting the mountains in this area (figuring that 1. I do actually want to sell some work since I'll be putting some money down to display it, 2. tourists will be the ones buying most likely, and 3.this place is GORGEOUS and worth painting.) I put my application in the next day. Now just waiting to see what the review committee says.
So, no Moab for now. I plan to drive north to Ouray and Telluride to spend some time painting those mountains. Then I'll go back to Santa Fe to meet up with Amanda and Tara, where we shall have a blast in the desert. Moab after that. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment